Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Home RSS
 
 
 

Don’t eat toxic fish

March 31, 2011
Maui Weekly

Elevated mercury levels can lead to brain damage, memory loss, exhaustion, depression, joint pain, hair loss, gastrointestinal disturbances and numbness in the hands and feet.

During a seven-year study, U.S. Geological Survey scientists found mercury in every single fish they tested—and more than a quarter of the fish had mercury levels that exceeded the Environmental Protection Agency’s safety limits for the average fish-eater. When you’re at the fish counter, there’s no way to know if the fish you’re buying contains mercury—or how much.

Safer sources of omega-3 fatty acids include walnuts, flaxseed oil, spinach and soybeans as well as vegetarian supplements made from microalgae (which is where fish get omega-3s in the first place).

None of us would dream of drinking water tainted by sewage, pesticides, heavy metals and other contaminants. So why would anyone risk their health by eating the fish that are pulled from this toxic brew?

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web