Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Home RSS
 
 
 

Community responds to overdose death of 15-year-old

September 6, 2012
The Maui Weekly

The Maui News - Christie Cummings, the mother of 15-year-old JayVaughn Hosino-Shaw, who died Aug. 23 from an apparent overdose of prescription pain medication at a beer party, said that if there is anything to be learned by teens, it's that drinking and mixing pills can be fatal.

As the teen's family mourned their loss, police continued to investigate the fatal drug overdose. It happened at a Kahului residence where police said the owner of the home was off-island and unaware that young people were in the home partying.

Members of the Coalition for a Drug-Free Hawai'i and Maui Police said they did not have data on how frequently or how many of these prescription and alcohol parties occur, but they do know they are ongoing.

The Maui Police Department will conduct a drug take-back program in September. Those wanting to dispose of unused and outdated medication can call police at 244-6400.

 
 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web